What Is Psalm 83's Relationship To Ezekiel 38 ?
Psalm 83 —the Theory & the Prophecy—the SAME ?
Statement given at Various Conferences 2014-16
1. "Today, Russia and Iran have created a power hegemony encompassing Iran, Iraq, Syria, Hezbollah-Lebanon, centered in Syria, directly to the North of Israel."
2. "None of the prerequisites for the Magog invasion of Ezekiel 38:1-8 are missing."
3. "When the real event stacks up to the North of Israel, it will look very much like it does Today."
(Statement on the Events North of Israel given at the Lake Charles Prophecy Conference in Sep. 2014 and the Pre-Trib Prophecy Study Group in Dec. 2014, and the Mid-America Prophecy Conference in Tulsa, April 14-16, 2016)
IS PSALM 83 A PROPHECY?
Psalm 83, an “imprecatory” prayer, is a Holy Spirit-inspired prayer. The Holy Spirit is God. So the prayer is in the Will of God. As such, the prayer will be answered exactly as it was prayed. Thus, the answer will be an exact fulfillment of the prayer. This makes the prayer the same as a prophecy.
This can be seen in the prayer of Jesus for Peter.
“ I have prayed for you, that your faith may not fail; and you, when once you have turned again...” (Luke 22:31-32)
Peter soon weakened in faith to the point of denying Jesus 3 times. But this prayer from the lips of Jesus was obviously in the Will of God, and as such was proven to be a prophecy, for the answer to the prayer was just as certain and exact as the fulfillment of a prophecy.
Psalm 83 fits this mold, and therefore is a prophecy.
THE PSALM 83 TIMING—PRE-MAGOG ?
The Psalm 83 Prophecy (not Theory) says the fulfillment will be “forever.” (v.17) At that time the Psalm 83 nations will “know that Thou alone, whose name is the LORD, Art the Most High over all the earth.” (v.18) This is a parallel to other "Day of the Lord" phrases such as “in that day the LORD will be the only one, and His name the only one” (Zec. 14:9), “the LORD alone will be exalted in that day. (Isa. 2:11; 17)
This places Psalm 83
at the Second Coming of Christ.
1. Isaiah 11:11-14 actually says Israel will destroy the Psalm 83 nations (listing them by name, v.14) at the time when Israel is saved (12:2-3). The whole passage is linked into a single time context by “on that day” (11:10, 11; 12:1).
Isaiah 11 is a Second Coming passage per Arnold Fruchtenbaum, Israelology, Ariel,1996, p. 718.
2. Zechariah 12:1-10, also a Second Coming passage (linked into a single time context by “in that day”, v. 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 11, 13.1, 2) describes Israel’s defeat of “all the surrounding peoples” (v.6). David Reagan equates this phrase with “the immediate neighbors of Israel [who are the Psalm 83 nations].
David Reagan, The Man Of Lawlessness, Lamb & Lion Ministries, 2012, p.83.
Psalm 83, then, is a post-Tribulation
(thus post-Magog) event.
It is aprophecy fulfilled at the time
of the Second Coming of Christ.
MISSING NATIONS in EZEKIEL 38 ?—NOT SO!
The Psalm 83 Theory says that, since they are not mentioned by name, the 10 Muslim nations that immediately border Israel are not among Ezekiel 38’s invading nations.
1. Ezekiel 38 specifically names 9 of the invading nations. It includes other unnamed nations in the generic phrase “many peoples with you.” (38:7, 9)
2. This is a pattern repeated elsewhere in Armageddon passages by generic phrases such as “all the nations of the world.” (Joel 3:2; Zec. 12:3; 14:2)
3. EXAMPLE: In Revelation 16 and 19 the “beast” (which would include Antichrist and the 10 kings) and the “kings from the east” are specifically named. They are named because they are the focus-nations, undoubtedly because they are the leader-nations. All other nations involved at Armageddon are included in the generic phrase “kings of the whole world.” (16:12-14; 19:19)
4. EXAMPLE: Isaiah 34, an Armageddon passage, lumps all nations under the generic banner “all the nations” (v.2). Yet one nation is specifically named—Edom (34:5). Taking a cue from the Psalm 83 Theory which holds that those Middle Eastern Muslim nations not specifically named in Ezekiel 38’s prophecy must be Missing, why not say the same thing about Ezekiel 34? That is, since Edom is the only Mid East nation named in that Armageddon passage, why not say the other Mid East Muslim nations are Missing in that final battle?
5. The fact is, Edom is the focus-nation of the Isaiah 34 passage, just like those 9 named in Ezekiel 38 are the focus-nations of that passage, and are clearly the “leader-nations.” The unnamed nations (identical to those listed in Psalm 83) are the “follower-nations”. Who do we suppose the “many peoples” of Ezekiel 38’s Muslim coalition are—Brazil, Canada, perhaps Norway? They are surely those same nations listed in the Psalm 83 prophecy who say “Come, and let us wipe them out as a nation, that the name of Israel be remembered no more" (v.4).
The Missing nations of Ezekiel 38 are not Missing at all. They are included among the “many peoples with you.” They best fit those listed in Psalm 83.
The MISSING SECURITY of Israel Today—NOT SO!
After many days you will be summoned; in the latter years you will come into the land that is restored from the sword, whose inhabitants have been gathered from many nations to the mountains of Israel which had been a continual waste; but its people were brought out from the nations, and they are living securely, all of them. (Eze.38:8)
The above passage says that “they are living securely,” referring to Israel restored to its land in the Last Days. While in this state of security Israel is invaded by a massive armed coalition of nations under the banner of Magog & Persia (Russian-Islamic forces). God intervenes in miraculous judgment to save Israel. Notice that Israel is said to be secure both before (38:8) & after (39:26) the Magog War. Because of God’s protection, Israel is secure before the war, during the war, and after the war. This fact, along with the history of the Jewish State since 1948, is the key to understanding how it can be said that Israel is secure today.
Since 1948 Israel has had a reputation as the “miracle nation” because it has survived 4 major wars, numerous smaller wars, intifadas, terror attacks, and multiple rocket attacks. Just as in the future Magog War, God has protected Israel before, during, and after each war and every attack from 1948 until today. Therefore, by the same measure as in the Magog passage, Israel is indeed “living securely” today. We can diagram this PROOF of Israel’s security TODAY this way... BELOW...
This is so important, we must say it again. Ezekiel 38 says Israel is Secure before (v.8), during (v.18) & after (39:26) the Magog attack. The Magog War is proof of Israel’s Security. In the same way, the many wars since 1948 actually PROVE that Israel is Secure. (again...see ABOVE graph... )
LEFT God promises to be a “wall of fire” around Israel. (Zec. 2:5)
Israel’s victorious survival through multiple wars against
over whelming odds since 1948 demonstrate beyond
question God’s miraculous protection, and thus
Israel’s Security. The 66
years of war is NOT
evidence of UN-security—
bur rather PROOF of
Israel’s Security, since,
beyond all odds,
Israel has never
“...the nation is not
safe from attack, but
is safe from defeat.”
(commenting on Eze 38:8, 11)
Earl Radmacher, Wayne House, eds., New Illustrated Bible Commentary
THE MISSING SECURITY OF ISRAEL TODAY ?
—NOT SO ! ...CONTINUED
...proofs of Israel's Security
IF THIS IS NOT GOD’S HAND OF SECURITY, WHAT IS IT?
David Regan*: “On May 14, 1948, the Jewish state was proclaimed, and the Arabs launched an all-out war to destroy it. And war it has been ever since...The Arab goal will never be achieved. The Bible says that once the Jews are re-established in the land, they will never be rooted up again (Amos 9:15).”
David Reagan, God’s Plan For The Ages, Lamb & Lion Ministries, 2005 p.317
* Dr. Reagan in his latter writings agrees with what is herein termed “The Psalm 83 Theory”
Zola Levitt: “The Arab’s drive to push the Jewish population into the sea has never succeeded—and it will not because God remains faithful to his promises to protect his chosen people...He will defend and preserve the remnant of Israel...”
Zola Levitt (with Lawrence Ford), Israel At Ground Zero in Prophecy At Ground Zero, William T. James, ed., Starburst Publishers, 2002, p. 31, 40.
Mal Couch: “Against impossible odds, and following 5 wars of aggression against it, the nation survived. One has to call these wars, “miracle wars.” God spared His own!... Throughout it all, Israel survived and even prospered. How can this not be the hand of the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob?”
Mal Couch, Revelation Hoofbeats, Ron J. Bigalke, ed., Xulon Press, 2003, “Controversy Over Prophetic Fulfillment, p. 324.
The text (Eze. 38:8) says Israel returns to her land (1948), and then to her mountains (1967), and dwells SECURELY. What have we been watching for 66 years?
Is Israel not secure in the Hands of the God who has miraculously delivered them through the Wars of 1948, 1956, 1967, 1973... etc., Iron Dome, etc.? Aren’t they the MIRACLE-Nation? How can Israel be a “Miracle-Nation” and not be secure? Yet every pre-trib prophecy teacher agrees Israel is a “Miracle Nation.”
When Ezekiel 38:8 says Israel will be “living securely” at the time of the Magog Invasion, it is not at the level of a Millennial Kingdom Security. It is Security in a fallen world of Wars. TODAY, the Russian-Islamic (Magog) Invasion of Israel is imminent, because TODAY Israel is Secure from DEFEAT (not ATTACK).
(MORE at bibleprophecyaswritten.com)
THE PSALM 83 & MAGOG PROPHECIES ACCORDING TO THE BIBLE
1. The Ezekiel 38 Magog Invasion occurs just before, or at the start, of the Tribulation .
(see bibleprophecyaswritten.com for the timing evidence)
2. The “many nations” joining with the named nations in the Magog Invasion are the 10 Muslim nations (or most) named in Psalm 83, though the Magog event is not specifically part of the Psalm 83 Prophecy.
3. The Magog coalition of Russian-Islamic nations, including those 10 listed in Psalm 83 (or most), are defeated on the mountains of Israel by a direct act of God.
4. Since both Iran & Turkey (represented in the symbolic beast features, Rev. 13:2) survive the Magog judgment to become part of the Beast Kingdom, it is therefore possible that the Psalm 83 nations (the “many nations” of Eze. 38:6, 9) also survive to participate as the chief focus nations of the Psalm 83 prophecy, a POST-Tribulation, Armageddon event.