How will Babylon, Iraq, be converted to
"The Great City"?
"...the great city, Babylon..."Revelation 18:10
Jerusalem is the only other city in the Bible called the "great city" (Rev 11:8). But Jerusalem, being the 600th largest city in the world, has 599 other cities which outrank it in terms of size. So how is it that Jerusalem, like Babylon, is called the Great City?
Because Jerusalem is "THE CITY OF THE GREAT KING" (Mat 5:35),
The KEY to the "GREAT CITY"
1. Revelation does not require the Great City to be the largest, or most populous, wealthiest, or strongest city, etc.
2. The Great City is where the Center of Power is located.
3. The Great City is not itself the Center of Power, but it is where the Center of Power is located.
4. The Center of Power is the Antichrist.
What makes the "Great City" GREAT?
Center of All Power
1. The Great City has 'derivative' power.
2. It derives its power from the Center Of All (worldly) Power--the Antichrist.
3. The Great City is the headquarters of the Ruler who has All Control over the world.
4. He has all political, economic, military, and religious Power and Control. (Rev 13:4-7)
5. That Control is centered in a Person--Not in a City.
6. Wherever that Person (the Antichrist) locates his headquarters- large city, small city, town, village or tent-city-- that "city" becomes the Great City.
7. Revelation 18 says five (5) times that Babylon is the Great City.
The WHOLE WORLD Will Be Under His TOTAL CONTROL
It is important to remember that this, too, is a 'derivative' Control...
And the dragon [Satan] gave him his power and his throne and great authority. (Rev 13:2)
1. Therefore, with power and authority "given" to him, the Antichrist will be the worldly source of absolute Authority, Power and Control.
2. Fundamental to the Great City is to understand where the Absolute Authority, Power and Control comes from...
...and authority over every tribe and people and tongue and nation was given to him [not to the Great City]…. And all who dwell on the earth will worship him [not the Great City]… And he [not the Great City] causes all… to be given a mark … and he [not the Great City] provides that no one should be able to buy or to sell, except the one who has the mark… Revelation 13:7-17
3. The city only REFLECTS the Authority, Power and Control of the Antichrist.
4. But that's what makes it the Great City.
Graphic BELOW: makes clear the Bible's statement on the total political, religious, military, and economic Authority of the Antichrist worldwide. Notice the Universal Authority, Power and Control by the circled words like "every" and "all".
RIGHT: An illustration of how a city (or official-airplane) is made "Great". (This is an illustration only. I do NOT believe the Bible teaches the Antichrist will come from America! (America is full of the spirit of the Antichrist" and its cup overfloweth as a "daughter Harlot". [1 John 4:3; Rev 17:5] But the "spirit of the Antichrist" and the "daughter Harlot" is not the Antichrist, nor the "Mother Harlot".) Please keep this in mind as we proceed. Thank you.)
1. The president, who has sole authority over the world's most powerful nuclear arsenal (coded within a "black suitcase"), has this ultimate power within reach at all times.
2. When the 911 attacks occured on the World Trade Center in New York City, and on the Pentagon in Washington D.C. September 11, 2001, president George Bush was not in Washington D.C., but at a function in Florida.
3. The Center of Power for the entire world was normally Washington D.C., where the center of the presidency (White House, and the black suitcase) and the entire U.S. government is located.
4. But for a few days the Center of Power-- residing with the most powerful man, the president (the black suitcase) of the most powerful country in the world, from the "Great City" of Washington DC-- for a few days that Center of Power was on Air Force One, the presidential airplane, as it scurried about in the skies awaiting an assessment of the nature of the attack on America at the World Trade Center buildings and the Pentagon. Air Force One, not Washington DC, was, at that time figuratively the Great City.
The Antichrist will be a One-Man Government
LEFT: An example of a man who is the Center of All Power can be seen in the office of president of the United States (as we said before, this is only an example--I do not believe the Bible supports the Antichrist coming from America). I use this example only because of its familiarity today. In order to be effective with this example, we must do a 'what if?' exercise.
1. What if the following scenario happened in the U.S., remembering that the president, who has sole authority over the world's most powerful nuclear arsenal (coded within a "black suitcase"), has this ultimate power within reach at all times.
2. What if the checks and balances of the U.S. government--the Congress and the Supreme Court-- were removed?
3. What if the elective process of who occupies the White House, the Executive Branch, the presidency, were removed?
4. What if the Judeo-Christian Moral traditiion of the U.S. were cast off?
5. What would be left? An absolute Dictator with a black suitcase!
6. That will be the position of the Antichrist--a man who is the Center of All Power.
1. As pointed out above, today the "Great City" (Center of Power) in the world is Washington DC.
2. If the president were to set his headquarters in the largest U.S. city, New York City, or in number 47 on the scale, Tulsa, that place would be the Great City.
3. But it is Washington D.C-- not the largest metropolitan city in the world. Not even in the U.S., where it is the 20th largest city. In the world Washington D.C. is number 82. There are 81 cities in the world which are larger than Washington. So what makes Washington the most powerful city in the world? Because, ultimately, that is where the man with the black suitcase is. New York City is far larger, and the leading economic city of the world. But the economic authority and power, and therefore the control, is in Washington. America is the world's leading superpower. But its capital city, Washington D.C., is the Center of Power. That makes Washington, only number 82 among the world's largest cities, a Great City.
1. Jerusalem is the only other city in the Bible called the "great city" (Rev 11:8). But Jerusalem, being the 600th largest city in the world, has 599 other cities which outrank it in terms of size. So how is it that Jerusalem, like Babylon, is called the Great City?
2. Since Jerusalem is chosen by God as "THE CITY OF THE GREAT KING" (Mat 5:35), then, again, it has to do with where the Center of All Power has placed His name. Since God is the Center of All Power over all of creation, and since He has placed His Name on Jerusalem, then number 600-ranked Jerusalem is the Great City.
3. Likewise, since the Antichrist, for a short time, and at a worldly level, reigns as the Center of All Power on the entire planet, wherever he centers his headquarters, that city will be known as the Great City--be it a monster city like Tokyo, or a village or a hamlet--or a restored ancient city like Babylon.
4. The prophecies name that Great City "Babylon", unless Replacement Theology extends also to Babylon. (In that case one could pick Rome (#114) or Tulsa (#749) or any city that one feels could Replace Babylon--or even a country like America. And one could ignore the "labels" Scripture places on the "Great City"--"labels" like "BABYLON".)
BELOW--BABYLON of CHALDEA, IRAQ--THE GREAT CITY of Revelation 18:
1. Babylon is not the Great City because of size, population, or location.
2. Babylon is the Great City because it is the base-city of the Antichrist who has all authority, power, and control.
3. Thus, from within Babylon flows all authority, power, and control.
4. If the Antichrist made a village his base headquarters, that village would be the Great City because from within it would come all authority, power, and control.
Since the Antichrist has total political, economic, military, and religious control, then wherever he sets his headquarters--be it Tokyo, New York, Omaha, or Tulsa--all political, economic, military, and religious control will flow from within that city, and it will be the Great City. The Bible says Babylon will be the Great City.
What makes the Great City?
Not size Not strength Not location.
What makes the Great City is its function as the headquarters of the Antichrist.
Babylon is not the Source Babylon is the Site
The Antichrist has all authority and power, and therefore all control, over...
political functions military functions economic functions religious functions
Wherever are kings, armies, buying, selling, worship, ships, ports, resources, riches, goods, services, food, water, etc., the Antichrist has control.
Therefore, wherever the Antichrist sets his headquarters, control is extended (enforced, exercised) from there.
Whatever city, town, or village is the site of the Antichrist's headquarters, all control flows worldwide from there, and that is the site of the Great City.
Hillah, founded on the rubble of Babylon in the 11th century AD, is essentially an extended city of Babylon
The city of Hillah grows out of the stones of Babylon
ABOVE: 1829 Map of Babylon (my outline of active archaeological boundary in red; map created by Captain Mignon of Great Britain). Note the magnified part showing the town of Hillah which the great Mid-East archaeologist Austin Henry Layard says began on the mounds of Babylon and was created largely by using the STONES of Babylon. Note that the diagram shows that Hillah began on the west side of the Euphrates and then grew over to the east side, both parts connected by a bridge of boats. Hillah was, and remains, an outgrowth of Babylon.
Hillah today--an outgrowth city of Babylon
ABOVE: The 1829 Mignon-Map of Babylon with an overlay from Google Earth. The alignment is remarkable and a witness to the skill of Captain Mignon's early research. Note the growth of Hillah after nearly two centuries. The next map will pick up from here.
BELOW LEFT: Hillah is highlighted (still unable to show its full extent) by the lighter portion of Google Earth as it extends around and south of Babylon on both sides of the Euphrates.
Babylon itself has active archaeological paremeters on both the east and west sides of the river, and the red line boundary only shows the active archaeological area, as their is strong evidence from both ancient historical sources and modern research that Babylon exceeded the area noted in red, as far south as Borsippa, and perhaps as much as 25 miles to the north of the Babel Mound.The City of Hillah is acknowledged to have been founded upon the rubble of Babylon around 1100 BC and raised up with the actual STONES of Babylon. Today, a traveler wanting to see Babylon is directed to Hillah by way of the Babylon Railway.
More Questions about the GREAT CITY
1. Must Babylon be a Giant City? (coming soon
2. Must Babylon be a Great Sea Port? (coming soon
3. How will "ships at sea" be able to see Babylon's Destruction? (coming soon
HOW IS BABYLON THE SOURCE OF and RESPONSIBLE FOR All of the things listed in Revelation 18:24 ?
Re 18:19 "And they threw dust on their heads and were crying out, weeping and mourning, saying, 'Woe, woe, the great city, in which all who had ships at sea became rich by her wealth, for in one hour she has been laid waste!'
Re 18:22 "And the sound of harpists and musicians and flute-players and trumpeters will not be heard in you any longer; and no craftsman of any craft will be found in you any longer; and the sound of a mill will not be heard in you any longer;
Re 18:23 and the light of a lamp will not shine in you any longer; and the voice of the bridegroom and bride will not be heard in you any longer; for your merchants were the great men of the earth, because all the nations were deceived by your sorcery.
Re 18:24 "And in her was found the blood of prophets and of saints and of all who have been slain on the earth."
IT IS THE SAME AS SAYING ABOUT HITLERS BERLIN IN WW2.........
"And in Berlin was found the blood of the millions who have been slain across Europe and Russia."
"And the wealth of Poland and the riches of France and the resources of Austria and the jubilance of Italy will not be found in you (Berlin) any longer."
With ALL Power & Authority goes ALL Responsibility!
The Great City: Another possibility...
Even though it is not required, as seen above, Babylon could become a great Metropolis virtually "overnight". A case in point is Dubai.
LEFT: The city of Dubai in the United Arab Emirates on the Persian Gulf in 1991. Note the Scripture from Zechariah 4:10. Dubai was certainly a "small thing", 5 or 6 buildings along a single desert road. The Zechariah prophecy reminds us to "not despise the beginning of small things" when the God of Prophecy sets events in motion.
An example was the tiny small cloud in the distant sky that by the Word of the Lord rose up during a three-and-one-half year drought and rapidly burst into a thunderous shower. (1 Kg 18:41-46)
Just as Dubai burst from the desert into a mega-metropolis virtually overnight (see below), so too could Babylon, or, even more so, Babylon's "offspring" city, Hillah (built from the literal Stones of Babylon) spring up in a "prophetic time-crunch".
LEFT: Fourteen years after Dubai's humble beginning (above), Dubai is shown with the original buildings superimposed in their original place in their original spot for reference purposes.
RIGHT: The same photo shows those same buildings without the superimposition. The phenomenally rapid rise of Dubai is further highlighted by the population stats in the pics, showing in the first 7-years a tripling, and then for EACH the next several 10-year spans a near doubling of its population.
Both of the above scenarios for the Rise of Babylon of Chaldea, Iraq, could actually work simultaneously in tandem.
But the first scenario for the Rise of The GREAT CITY is all that is required by Bible Prophecy.